Powerful Questions: Problem Solving shows you the coaching way to helping people solve their own problems, presenting three powerful coaching skills for developing creative solutions and overcoming obstacles. You'll learn how to take people to their ideal future to get around the limitations of the present, the obstacle approach to problem solving, and how to take brainstorming to the transformational level of values, beliefs and identity.
In this 65-minute audio course, you'll learn by listening to a great coach at work! Much of the art of asking powerful questions is caught, not taught, and these in-depth coaching demonstrations will help you catch the feel for how a break-through question grows out of the context of a coaching conversation. The course includes a brief input session outlining several problem solving approaches, followed by two live, unrehearsed coaching demos that show how those techniques work for one coachee who is starting a business, and another who is trying to write a book. We'll cover:
1. The Obstacle Approach homes in on what stops you and brainstorms ways around it.
2. The Ideal Future Approach bypasses the limitations of the present by exploring the ideal.
3. The Transformational Approach moves the focus beyond circumstances to God's purpose.
We've also included a wealth of problem-solving hints and tips, a transcript of all the coaching questions asked in the demos, plus handouts with sample problem-solving questions and outlines of the problem-solving techniques used.
Director of Training
About the instructor
The Founder and Director of Curriculum Development of LMI, Tony specializes in helping senior ministry and business leaders engage God in difficult circumstances and finish well. A lifelong student of personal change and personality type, Tony is a highly-sought-after transformational coach with a worldwide clientele.
A pioneer in the Christian coaching movement, Tony has trained thousands of coaches, co-founded an international coaching school and created a wide range of leadership resources used around the world. He is the author of ten books, including Coaching Questions, the top-selling coaching how-to on Amazon.com.
Tony developed Coach22.com, an on-line Christian coaching bookstore and publisher of Christian coaching resources, and is creator of The Calling Journey, a research-based online calling timelining tool.
Tony travels widely, leading workshops and speaking on heart transformation and coaching. He is known as a speaker for an interactive, adult learning approach to training that fully engages participants, and for a high level of personal transparency. He and his wife Kathy have two grown children and reside in Redding, California. He enjoys being in nature, watching the stars, reading, laughter and projects around the house.
- Introduction: Powerful Questions: Problem Solving
- Session 1: Problem-Solving Techniques (Input)
- Session 2: Demo for Writing a Book: Exploration
- Session 3: Demo: Defining the Issue
- Session 4: Demo: the Ideal Future Technique
- Session 5: Demo: Moving from Ideal to Real
- Session 6: Demo: the Obstacle Technique
- Session 7: Demo -- the Five Options Technique
- Session 8: Demo -- The Transformational Approach
- Session 9: Debriefing the Demo
- Session 10: Demo for Starting a Business: the Obstacle Approach
- Session 11: The Obstacle Approach (cont'd)
- Session 12: Debriefing the Exercise
- Course Handouts: download here